Cleaning & Care: Patient Hand Units
Patient Hand Units supplied by Static Systems Group have been designed with hygiene in mind. They can be cleaned using a mild soap and water solution or disinfected using a 1% Sodium Hypochlorite disinfecting
Mk6 Hand Units also incorporate a silver based anti-microbial to reduce the likelihood of cross contamination between users.
To Clean a Hand Unit:
- Using a damp cloth, simply wipe over the hand unit using a solution of mild soap and water.
- Wipe the hand unit dry using a clean cloth.
Alternatively an anti-bacterial wipe can be used.
To Disinfect a Hand Unit:
- Prepare a container containing a 1% Sodium Hypochlorite solution large enough to accommodate the hand unit to be disinfected.
- Remove the hand unit from the call point socket and fit either a spare unit or a ‘dummy plug’ in it’s place.
- Touch the reset button at the bedhead to reset the call that will have been raised by unplugging the hand unit.
- Immerse the hand unit into the disinfecting solution, ensuring that the hand unit plug is not immersed.
- Follow the solution manufacturer’s recommended immersion times; typically no more than a few seconds is required.
- Under no circumstances leave the hand unit immersed for more than 30 minutes.
- Remove the hand unit from the solution and wipe dry with a suitable clean cloth.
- Reconnect the hand unit.
- Press the reset button at the bedhead to reset the call.
- After disinfecting or cleaning, always re-test the hand unit for correct operation.
- Speech hand units manufactured after 01/2018 should be cleaned using an anti-bacterial wipe.